How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service centre. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department, we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Myrtle Beach today! For more handy vehicle maintenance tips, you can see how long you should go before rotating your tires, and check out our step-by-step mold removal guide. And be sure to check out our overview of recommended annual car maintenance while you’re at it.
The 2020 Jeep Compass is the perfect vehicle for all of life’s rocky roads and terrains. Myrtle Beach drivers don’t drive the same route, which is why we’re taking you through the different Jeep Compass configurations to help you decide which 2020 Jeep Compass is the perfect fit for you. You can find all of our…
There’s a trim for every North Myrtle Beach driver on the new 2020 Chrysler Pacifica. With seven trim levels and a hybrid option, the Pacifica is a versatile minivan perfect for your next vehicle. Learn more about available Chrysler Pacifica trim levels below, then browse our online Pacifica inventory to find your perfect match! View Pacifica InventoryContact…
The 2020 Jeep Cherokee offers seven trim levels, and each level has two configurations (4WD and AWD), except the Trailhawk®, which has one. That’s thirteen distinct configurations for North Myrtle Beach car buyers to choose from. Explore our available Cherokee inventory online today or learn more about the Jeep Cherokee trim levels with our helpful guide. View…
A properly equipped 2-door Wrangler can tow up to 2,000 pounds — but how much can a Jeep Wrangler tow if you opt for a 4-door Wrangler Unlimited? In that case, the Wrangler towing capacity jumps to 3,500 pounds! The 2020 Jeep Wrangler also comes with a range of other standard and available towing features,…
Are you looking to spruce up your Jeep Wrangler? You’re not the only one. Unlike most off-road vehicles, Jeeps are made to be customized to their owners’ preferences. Because of that, there is a suite of accessories available at Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep that will make your Jeep more comfortable and capable. Learn more about customizing your Jeep…
Minivans are the new “in” vehicles! Not only are they versatile and modern, but customers in the Conway area know that the 2020 Chrysler Pacifica is a vehicle that offers supreme performance and maximum comfort. If you’re wondering, “how much can the Pacifica tow?” Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep is here to answer that! Allow Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep to guide you…