How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench.
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service centre. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep
Whether talking to our finance department or visiting our service department, we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Myrtle Beach today! For more handy vehicle maintenance tips, you can see how long you should go before rotating your tires, and check out our step-by-step mold removal guide. And be sure to check out our overview of recommended annual car maintenance while you’re at it.
As you’ve probably noticed, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator has made a splash on the pickup truck world, and its ability to tow with them best of ‘em is part of the reason. Not only can you expect to have off-road adventures in the Conway area in this Trail-Rated® Jeep pickup, but you can tow and…
The most anticipated pickup truck in recent memory, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator has not disappointed fans, and has even impressed some detractors. Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep drivers have been asking our staff for more information on this midsize pickup, and we’ve happily told them all we could. While this blog is no substitute for coming by our Myrtle Beach…
The 2020 Jeep Gladiator brings midsize pickup utility to the already sensational Jeep lineup. It’s a pickup version of the popular Wrangler SUV that stands out thanks to its truck bed, enhanced suspension, and stretched wheelbase. We think you’ll find it hard to find a Jeep Gladiator review that isn’t on board with this exceptional vehicle. Simply…
Are you looking for a family-friendly SUV that can also act as a powerful off-road-capable vehicle? Then feast your eyes on the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which you can find at Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep near Conway. The 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee can be equipped with four powerful engines that provide North Myrtle Beach drivers with impressive performance capabilities…
What makes the new Jeep Wrangler a perennial favorite? This iconic SUV is known for its style, off-road prowess, innovative technology, and so much more. Because of its popularity among North Myrtle Beach drivers and beyond, many people have a few questions about the Wrangler. One of the most common questions is, “how much does a Jeep…
When you are shopping for a new vehicle in Conway or North Myrtle Beach, you’ll want to make sure you are getting the best possible car loan. Where is the best place to get a car loan? Explore the pros and cons of bank loans and loans from a dealership to find out where to get a car loan that’s…