How to Take the Doors Off of a Jeep
Jeep vehicles, such as the Jeep Wrangler SUV, are designed for outdoor adventures. In fact, they’re so cleverly designed that you can add and remove parts as necessary to make your driving experience more fun. For example, you may want to remove the doors while you off-road around Conway so you and your passengers can enter and exit quickly. Read on to learn how to take the doors off a Jeep!
Removing Jeep Wrangler Doors: Step-by-Step Guide
Before you remove the doors, roll down the windows to keep the glass intact. Afterward, follow these steps:
- Remove the footwell under the dash or near the b-pillar to disconnect any power cables. The footwell should come off once you remove the attached clip.
- Undo the door straps by lifting them off their hooks.
- Take the bolt off the door hinges and slide the door off and away from the car.
It’s that easy! Be sure to keep the doors in a dry place. When you’re ready to re-install, lubricate the door hinges to make removing the doors easier in the future.
How to Take a Top Off a Jeep Wrangler
- Remove the sun visors so you can reach the header latches. Undo the latches but don’t remove them from the loops on the windshield.
- On both sides, open the swing gate and pull the first three inches of the sail panels from the body channel.
- Remove the rear window retainers on the swing bar brackets. Unzip the window starting on the passenger side.
- Rotate and pull away from the swing gate bar brackets to remove the swing gate bar and window. Store the swing gate in a safe place.
- Release the rear and top Velcro flaps to remove the side panel windows. Unzip the window to free the body side and door rail retainers. Do this on either side.
- Pull out the rear sail panel retainers on the bottom from under the soft top, and fold the sail panels on top of the car. Pull the drip rail retainers away from the frame and slide the sleeves over the links.
- Push down on the latch pedal to disconnect the side bows from the door rails. Have a friend help you pull the top back toward the rear of the car until it’s lowered. Fold the material and store it in a dry place.
Hardtop (You’ll need a drill or ratchet, a driver socket, a T40 Torx bit, and a helper.)
- Remove the sun visors so you can unlatch each of the six latches holding the two front panels — there are three in the front and back.
- Lift the driver- and passenger-side panels to remove.
- Remove the rear section of the hardtop by undoing the two T40 Torx bolts on each corner.
- There are three T40 Torx bolts underneath the window on each side of the hardtop. Remove the bolts as you did in step three.
- Disconnect the electrical connection.
- Have a friend help you remove the rear section by lifting from the center and pulling back.
- Store the hardtop in a safe place.
Leave it to Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep’s Service Technicians!
Would you prefer to have a professional take apart Jeep doors or a top for you? Our expert service team is here to help! Schedule an appointment near North Myrtle Beach and Surfside Beach, and we’ll have your Jeep Wrangler primed and ready for your next adventure in Myrtle Beach in record time.
More from Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep
The 2020 Jeep Compass is the perfect vehicle for all of life’s rocky roads and terrains. Myrtle Beach drivers don’t drive the same route, which is why we’re taking you through the different Jeep Compass configurations to help you decide which 2020 Jeep Compass is the perfect fit for you. You can find all of our…
There’s a trim for every North Myrtle Beach driver on the new 2020 Chrysler Pacifica. With seven trim levels and a hybrid option, the Pacifica is a versatile minivan perfect for your next vehicle. Learn more about available Chrysler Pacifica trim levels below, then browse our online Pacifica inventory to find your perfect match! View Pacifica InventoryContact…
The 2020 Jeep Cherokee offers seven trim levels, and each level has two configurations (4WD and AWD), except the Trailhawk®, which has one. That’s thirteen distinct configurations for North Myrtle Beach car buyers to choose from. Explore our available Cherokee inventory online today or learn more about the Jeep Cherokee trim levels with our helpful guide. View…