How to Take the Doors Off of a Jeep
Jeep vehicles, such as the Jeep Wrangler SUV, are designed for outdoor adventures. In fact, they’re so cleverly designed that you can add and remove parts as necessary to make your driving experience more fun. For example, you may want to remove the doors while you off-road around Conway so you and your passengers can enter and exit quickly. Read on to learn how to take the doors off a Jeep!
Removing Jeep Wrangler Doors: Step-by-Step Guide
Before you remove the doors, roll down the windows to keep the glass intact. Afterward, follow these steps:
- Remove the footwell under the dash or near the b-pillar to disconnect any power cables. The footwell should come off once you remove the attached clip.
- Undo the door straps by lifting them off their hooks.
- Take the bolt off the door hinges and slide the door off and away from the car.
It’s that easy! Be sure to keep the doors in a dry place. When you’re ready to re-install, lubricate the door hinges to make removing the doors easier in the future.
How to Take a Top Off a Jeep Wrangler
- Remove the sun visors so you can reach the header latches. Undo the latches but don’t remove them from the loops on the windshield.
- On both sides, open the swing gate and pull the first three inches of the sail panels from the body channel.
- Remove the rear window retainers on the swing bar brackets. Unzip the window starting on the passenger side.
- Rotate and pull away from the swing gate bar brackets to remove the swing gate bar and window. Store the swing gate in a safe place.
- Release the rear and top Velcro flaps to remove the side panel windows. Unzip the window to free the body side and door rail retainers. Do this on either side.
- Pull out the rear sail panel retainers on the bottom from under the soft top, and fold the sail panels on top of the car. Pull the drip rail retainers away from the frame and slide the sleeves over the links.
- Push down on the latch pedal to disconnect the side bows from the door rails. Have a friend help you pull the top back toward the rear of the car until it’s lowered. Fold the material and store it in a dry place.
Hardtop (You’ll need a drill or ratchet, a driver socket, a T40 Torx bit, and a helper.)
- Remove the sun visors so you can unlatch each of the six latches holding the two front panels — there are three in the front and back.
- Lift the driver- and passenger-side panels to remove.
- Remove the rear section of the hardtop by undoing the two T40 Torx bolts on each corner.
- There are three T40 Torx bolts underneath the window on each side of the hardtop. Remove the bolts as you did in step three.
- Disconnect the electrical connection.
- Have a friend help you remove the rear section by lifting from the center and pulling back.
- Store the hardtop in a safe place.
Leave it to Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep’s Service Technicians!
Would you prefer to have a professional take apart Jeep doors or a top for you? Our expert service team is here to help! Schedule an appointment near North Myrtle Beach and Surfside Beach, and we’ll have your Jeep Wrangler primed and ready for your next adventure in Myrtle Beach in record time.
More from Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep
A properly equipped 2-door Wrangler can tow up to 2,000 pounds — but how much can a Jeep Wrangler tow if you opt for a 4-door Wrangler Unlimited? In that case, the Wrangler towing capacity jumps to 3,500 pounds! The 2020 Jeep Wrangler also comes with a range of other standard and available towing features,…
Are you looking to spruce up your Jeep Wrangler? You’re not the only one. Unlike most off-road vehicles, Jeeps are made to be customized to their owners’ preferences. Because of that, there is a suite of accessories available at Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep that will make your Jeep more comfortable and capable. Learn more about customizing your Jeep…
Minivans are the new “in” vehicles! Not only are they versatile and modern, but customers in the Conway area know that the 2020 Chrysler Pacifica is a vehicle that offers supreme performance and maximum comfort. If you’re wondering, “how much can the Pacifica tow?” Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep is here to answer that! Allow Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep to guide you…